Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Intro

I did not always have curly hair...it was wavy, but not like the tight ringlet curls that it is becoming. It was not until I hit about 12, those wonderful teenage years when everyone is trying to fit in and look like their favorite pop stars, that my hair went curly. Rough rough years for someone with curly hair. Well...maybe not for those people who knew what to do with it. I spent nights crying to my mom that I wanted straight hair like all the other girls in my class, so we would bring out the hairdryer...BIG MISTAKE. Side note for anyone with children with curly hair when yours is straight...DO NOT USE A HAIRDRYER. It would be straight yay!, but also very frizzy and usually about 3 times the size of my head. Not quite the look we were going for. So then I decided to chop it all off, another not so good idea. Imagine the first day of middle school, with a boy haircut that had waves, purple glasses, braces, a pleated blue knee length skirt, a white blouse, not shirt, but blouse, a sunflower vest and to top it all off corduroy multi color converses. Yes ladies and gentlemen this is how I started middle school. Luckily there is the yearly first day of school picture to prove it. Finally at summer camp I met another girl who had curly hair and it actually was curly, not frizzy and looked GREAT! I immediately flocked to her and asked her what she did to her hair. PRODUCT became my new best friend. High School started much better with a cute ponytail that draped curls down my back and it became an envy to those straight haired girls.
Now 2007 I try to embrace these curls that seem to get curlier every day. I get a lot of comments at the hair places where little blue hair ladies are getting perms wishing for my hair...talk about a confidence builder. I have people everyday telling me I should wear my hair down, or get it styled..(no names...mags). The thing about styling curly hair is it is nearly impossible, I should also let you know at this point that it is not only curly, but thick...I am talking that I probably have three peoples worth of hair on my head thick. My favorite is to watch the TODAY SHOW and have their little fashion guy tell me that curls are in and all the stars are going with curly hair. It is a tease because then they show the pictures and great some cleb has had her own personal hairstylist put big bouncy curls in with a curling iron...THOSE ARE NOT CURLS. I cuss at the little man at this point and tell him that one day I will make it up to New York and show him curls. I also Google all the time curly hair styles, again the bouncy curling iron curls... then I get frustrated and throw my hair up into a pony tail or the two buns on either side of my head...critical for me.
So with all of this being said I have decided to start a blog for curly hair people who would like some ideas on what I am doing and trying, what works and A LOT of what doesn't work. And for all of those straight hair people who are just dying to have curly hair...live through my pain and perseverance.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

too funny - I remember your email when you got your hair "did" at the african american "salon."

Mary Montague said...

oh yes...that is one of the better times...

Sharon said...

Hey girl -

Be glad ya got hair. It could be like mine: thin, wavy in some spots, straight in others and GRAY.

Anonymous said...

I love your curls!! I have curls too, although not like yours. I gave up trying to look like Jennifer Aniston a long time ago. I've even tried the old flat iron hair straightner, not a good experience! It kind of looked like I had a mullet! Embrace your curls, don't fight them.

Monty said...

I have curly hair too .. . on my back. Do they make product for that?