Friday, July 13, 2007

Who Says So?

I would like to know who decides what makes a song eligible to play on the oldies station? Since I have moved into my office my radio on my desk only gets one station, which is the local oldies station. I couldn't be happier! I like top 40, but not all day. I like country, but not all day. I like pop, but not all day. This station has a great mix. However, this is not the oldies station that I grew up listening to. You don't hear much Elvis, monkees or temptations. Don't get me wrong they are mixed in there, but that was all oldies used to be. Right now Mamas and the Papas are singing Geoff and my song "California Dreamin'" Seriously we do a mean rendition. Anyway, this station should seriously be named Mom, Dad and Mary's (sometimes some siblings, maybe a dog or two) trips from Pittsburgh to Virginia. These are the songs that the three of us could handle in a car together for 7 hours. For example, I think they play the whole Big Chill CD at least once a day. Seriously The Big Chill came out in 1983. What about 24 years makes it old? I am 25...ancient according to this radio station. They also play Emery standards like The Beach Boys "help me Rhonda" or as dad and I like to say "happy Hanukkah...hap hap happy Hanukkah." And the best and if there is one Emery who doesn't agree...well there won't be...we were brainwashed by our mother in that any emery child can sing every lyric to every song by Neil Diamond. "cherry, cherry" "Kentucky woman" "Shiloh" (just on) "sweet Caroline"...we know them all, and love them. But still Neil Diamond...oldies? I just don't see it. The only thing they are missing from the emery turn table is Phantom, Les Miz, Cats, West Side Story, 1776 and The Music Man...other than that they are dead on. But those are probably waaaay to old to be just plain old oldies. See the confusion? So I am considering this radio station a mix between classic rock and oldies...I mean one time I heard the rolling stones on here and yes I know they have aged, but I just don't think Mick would like the idea of being on the oldies station. Well one this is for sure I have taped the hell out of my antenna to the wall, because i am losing this gold mine.

No comments: