Monday, July 9, 2007

There are just some things

Every once in a while something will just down right bother me. I don't have many pet peeves, and I am tolerate of a lot, but there are just somethings that make me want to scream. This weekend I hit a big one. I am staying in Powhatan for the week pet sitting for Melissa. I went to the Food Lion on a Sunday to get hair product, I knew this was stupid to go and get one thing on a Sunday afternoon, but I was in Powhatan and it was the only place I could go. I found something to keep the frizz down and get me to work in the morning without looking like I hadn't showered all weekend. Anyway I stepped into the line which I thought was the lesser of evils. There was a woman in front of me with a small red headed child...maybe 4 or 5 years old? Don't get me wrong, I like children just as much as the next person, but there are just some that make you want to lose your reproductive system right then and there. This was one of those times. The girl was cute, her mom frumpy. She starts crying to her mom that she wants a balloon. Her mom grabs one of those balloons on a stick from up top that says "Happy Father's Day". Oh and I should probably mention there was one person almost done in front of her, and balloon lady's cart was FULL, I mean full and overflowing, $300 worth of full! So anyway...her I am standing with ONE item in my hand, just me and my hair gel checking out the latest news on Jen meeting Brad and Angies baby. When all of the sudden here it comes out of left field, whack! The balloon hits my stomach. Whack whack whack... this little girl is going to town on my stomach and my legs. I look at the woman, semi-smile. like can you please get your freaking child off of me. She does nothing, but roll her eyes a little, like I am the pain for not liking this little girl whacking me. It had already crossed my mind that if I was this woman with $300 worth of groceries and someone had ONE thing, I would let them before me. That is what mom taught us to do. Not this lady, nope she was going to make me wait while there were price checks on fruit loops and weighing of bananas, and her little daughter whacking me. Finally my straw broke, i grabbed the balloon out of her hand and said in this horrible voice out of no where "if you hit me with this balloon one more time, I am going to pop it." The little girls eyes got really big and she froze. And do you know what the woman said to me..."If you pop it you are going to have to pay for it, because I am not paying for a popped balloon." I took a deep breath put the balloon away on top of the shelf where the little girl couldn't reach it and with one of my little smirks that Barret and Pie can pick up in a second said, "well looks like you won't be paying for a balloon at all today." Again the eyes rolled at me. I was steaming. So when her total came up to $300 with the food lion discounts, I let out a little whistle and said man...good thing you didn't buy the balloon too. Who is this person, I don't talk to people like that...When the woman left the cashier about lost her marbles laughing at the whole scene, and then looked at me and very seriously said "Mam, I would have slapped the shit out of that child if I was you." Welcome to Powhatan Mary!

2 comments:

ACV said...

very funny!

Pie said...

Oh do I know that smirk of which you speak. I can speak as a mother and tell you right now, if my daughter even THOUGHT about smacking someone with a balloon, she would get the wrath of Pie. Some moms just don't get it!

How'd the hair gel work out and what brand? I need help down here! The humidity is killing me and my head!!!